Re: NM using Option card

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Dan Williams wrote:

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 21:19 +0100, Markus Becker wrote:
Feb  7 20:56:34 shelbyville pppd[10716]: Could not determine remote
IP
address: defaulting to 10.64.64.64

Searching the web for this, reveals, that this seems to be very common with UMTS dialup, but works nevertheless, if the DNS is correct, e.g. something like 194.48.139.254. If I enter that manually into /etc/resolv.conf, the connection works. But why is ppp not getting DNS addresses?

That bit looks suspect...  Never seen that message from pppd before, but
it might have something to do with it.  I had to modify the ppp helper
code when adding CDMA support to grab the remote IP address and set that
as the interface's P-t-P address, otherwise my Sprint cards wouldn't
work.  Previously to this, the interface's P-t-P address was getting set
to the same address as the interface address.

Ultimate fail:

pppd/ipcp.c
   if (ho->hisaddr == 0) {
	ho->hisaddr = htonl(0x0a404040 + ifunit);
	warn("Could not determine remote IP address: defaulting to %I",
	     ho->hisaddr);
   }

WTF?????

Maybe NetworkManager should trap that magic and replace it with the
interface address like use to happen before.