Re: Network Manager and NFS

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 14:37 -0700, Robert Smits wrote:
> My workaround, which isn't entirely satisfactory, is to use ifup and dispense
> with network manager altogether. Unfortunately, that doesn't allow me to see
> other possible network connections and make quick and easy connections when
> I'm on the road.
>
> What I still don't understand, though, is why Network Manager isn't configured
> to deal with managing changing nfs networks.

I think what you're asking for is called Network Location Awareness ---
how an interface distinguishes to which network it is attached, and then
the machine configures itself as appropriate. I think there a few
implementations of this [standards, anybody?] but personally I like this
one: authenticated DHCP, since it should also work securely for plain
old wired Ethernet.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~sjm217/papers/securecomm07authdhcp.pdf

I've got a bit of time on my hands, I might code up my earlier HTTPS
idea.

There's a whole bunch of things you can hook into changes in network
such as iptables, service daemons, etc., and of course NFS mounts. But
before that the relevant NLA infrastructure needs to be in place. This
means having (1) a mechanism to identify the network, and (2) telling
other processes (such as other config daemons) that we're on that
network. It should be up to the latter what action we take. NM already
has "network link awareness", viz. Pidgin and Evolution. Am I right in
thinking that the replacement for init is also dbus-aware?

Of course, all this takes time ...and planning ;)

James

--
The Holy ettlz                              TheHolyettlz googlemail com
PGP key ID: 03F94B5D