Re: Network Manager and NFS

On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 22:43 +0100, The Holy ettlz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > I like the way Knetwork Manager and Network Manager work for the most part,
> > but I find I cannot use them - why - because I need to change my nfs networks
> > at each site I log into. And because network manager doesn't understand this,
> > I have to use ifup and scpm to do it.
>
> The "semi-canonical" way to do it probably to add some hook scripts
> into /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/. Last time I checked, the
> dispatcher ran each of these scripts in alphanumeric order with
> arguments

Right.  Dispatcher scripts are the best way to do this sort of thing if
all you need are a few lines of shell.

>     <interface> {up|down}
>
> You'll probably need to cook up some of your own wizardry in order to
> automatically decide what network you're on, then change the NFS mounts,
> etc. (I don't think there's any way at present to automate this on a
> per-user basis, although as far as I understand it'd certainly be
> possible with the current  NM to write a user session daemon that waits
> for a particular network connection and then, say, does a FUSE mount.)

We can certainly export the connection name, path, id, and settings
service, which should be enough to ID the connection.  That can be
stuffed into the environment that the script gets executed with.  The
DHCP4 config is already exported in this manner, which you could use in
the mean time.