Re: Network Manager Wifi thoughts

Forgive me if this has already made the rounds....

I love NM - it's amazing how it works.  My only issue is when someone in my vicinity turns on their wireless network called "linksys".  Mine is called "matthewboh" if that makes a difference.

Anyway, I have used a network called "linksys" before and NM tries to connect to it - but often times the signal is not good and I immediately drop it.  I would like to be able to say "matthewboh" is my preferred network, then if that's not available, let NM use it's current method of connecting.

Again, thanks for the work on this.

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 20:37 -0400, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Fanen A. wrote:
>
>>> If we're talking methods then it could check that the dns ip addresses
>>> it's been given are valid, or it could check a number of things. http
>>> site availability is just one of them.
>
> How about a query to a root DNS server?  If you can reach DNS, you are
> "on the internet" (even if port 80 is blocked).

Probably a bad idea - how about checking for a DNS server config, and querying
configured DNS server?  While that *could* be an internal DNS server,
it is unlikely for the kinds of situations a non-technical user would
be in.

--
Matt Burkhardt, MSTM
President