Re: Network Manager Wifi thoughts

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 02:01 -0400, Martin Owens wrote:
> Thought 2 is the problematic difference between being connected to the
> wifi network (or ethernet network) and actually being online. I got
> court out today because the Tend City wifi public network required
> that you agree to the terms and type in a guest user/password. now I'm
> not suggesting that the network manager should fill these kinds of web
> forms in automatically, but what I am suggesting is that a quick check
> to see if google.com is really google.com would allow the gui to
> display the signal strength in yellow for instance so we know the
> connection is there but you not yet online.

Two thoughts...

- The status of my network connection has nothing to do with whether the
network I'm connected to can access google.com (or any other arbitrary
domain). Networks without internet connectivity are as valid a use case
an any other.

- What do you mean by "google.com is really google.com"? That it
resolves to a known IP, or block of IPs? That you can connect to it via
HTTP, and that the result looks like it should? Note that if I connect
to 'google.com', it actually HTTP redirects me twice, first to
'www.google.com', and then to 'www.google.co.nz'. Not to mention the
proxy that HTTP traffic has to go through...

Simon.