Re: Network Manager Wifi thoughts

Thanks for your reply,

>  - The status of my network connection has nothing to do with whether the
>  network I'm connected to can access google.com (or any other arbitrary
>  domain). Networks without internet connectivity are as valid a use case
>  an any other.

In parlance I agree, it's technically more accurate to display network
connection only. And yet the lack of any notifier to the common non
technical user does loose valuable information about what they're
concerned about: namely weather they are on the internet or not. I
would argue that have a robust notifier of internet connectivity would
be in keeping with the general network manager ethos of keeping things
simple of strait forward for the users.

>  - What do you mean by "google.com is really google.com"? That it
>  resolves to a known IP, or block of IPs? That you can connect to it via
>  HTTP, and that the result looks like it should? Note that if I connect
>  to 'google.com', it actually HTTP redirects me twice, first to
>  'www.google.com', and then to 'www.google.co.nz'. Not to mention the
>  proxy that HTTP traffic has to go through...

If we're talking methods then it could check that the dns ip addresses
it's been given are valid, or it could check a number of things. http
site availability is just one of them.

Best Regards, Martin Owens