Network Manager Wifi thoughts

Hi everyone,

I tried doing a search in the archives to see if these problems/ideas
had been talked about in this mailing list before. I failed to find
anything (maybe I used the wrong terms)

Anyway, I have 2 things to talk about. The first is the auto connect
to wifi networks; I've had the network manager in the past be
pathologically attached to certain wifi networks, espcially when those
networks are called "Linksys". Perhaps a way (away from the normal
gui) to remove defaults would be useful so if you made a mistake in
selecting a wifi network at home you wouldn't be constantly correcting
the network manager.

Thought 2 is the problematic difference between being connected to the
wifi network (or ethernet network) and actually being online. I got
court out today because the Tend City wifi public network required
that you agree to the terms and type in a guest user/password. now I'm
not suggesting that the network manager should fill these kinds of web
forms in automatically, but what I am suggesting is that a quick check
to see if google.com is really google.com would allow the gui to
display the signal strength in yellow for instance so we know the
connection is there but you not yet online.

Best Regards, Martin Owens