multiple instances considered bad

These two items are important in the sense of avoiding confusion for
novices:

1) Upon startup, if NetworkManager notices another instance of itself
running, it should immediately exit.  Multiple instances seem to cause
fights and the illusion of slow network performance.

2) The icon deposited in the the notification area lacks a quit option.
I know that killall will get rid of this on Linux and BSD, but not
Solaris.

I first noticed this on Ubuntu 7.10 (edgy).  I'll get the CVS and see if I
can come up with a patch.

Hmm...  The project webpage has not been updated yet to reflect that Gnome
has completely migrated over to Subversion and therefore the CVS
instructions for NetworkManager doesn't work anymore.

--
David Griffith
dgriffi cs csubak edu