Re: multiple instances considered bad

On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 04:19 -0700, David Griffith wrote:
> These two items are important in the sense of avoiding confusion for
> novices:
>
> 1) Upon startup, if NetworkManager notices another instance of itself
> running, it should immediately exit.  Multiple instances seem to cause
> fights and the illusion of slow network performance.

If you run multiple instances of NM itself, the second instance won't be
able to acquire the DBus name, and should exit already.  If it doesn't,
I don't believe it will try touching the network at all.

> 2) The icon deposited in the the notification area lacks a quit option.
> I know that killall will get rid of this on Linux and BSD, but not
> Solaris.

The icon is autostarted on sane distros.  Even if you could "quit", it
will just come right back next time you log in.  You must remove the
icon from the autostart directory for your distro, or else remove it
from your session management.

Dan