NM and WEP

Running Network Manager 0.6.4 on thinkpad, w/ Ubuntu 6.10 recenty upgraded to 7.4

I first started using NM when I could not easily switch from my office to home networks. Both WPA secured wireless. Both had keys in wpa_supplicant.conf. NM figured them both out immediately. Open networks are also no problem. But one of the places I go has a WEP secured access point. When attempting to login, I am asked for a WEP passphrase, when given, the Network Monitor applet shows connection, but the laptop never acquires a network address and after a while I'm asked for the pass phrase again. This is the only network I connect to that uses WEP, so I don't know if there is some peculiarity of the router or not, but when I boot to Windows, it works just fine.

I asked this question once before, and no one had any great ideas. So after trying to think about it a bit, here are my two questions:

1. I understand that for NM to use WPA, wpa_supplicant must be installed. Does the process of coding the keys into wpa_supplicant.conf need to be done too? It was in my case, and it works. But here is my thinking. If NM generates and stores the key the first time (and does not need to get that info from the .conf file) then could the presence of the .conf file be messing things up?

2. Do I need to hard code the wep access information into wpa_supplicant.conf?

3. (ok, I only said two . . .) Any other ideas?

Thanks
PE