Re: how to get network manager to use a different interface

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 23:42 +0100, pete phillips wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using an rt61 PCMIA wireless card in my Asus laptop, which has an
> ipw2100 built in card.
>
> Network manager works very well with the ipw2100, which comes up as
> eth1. However I want to be able to use the rt61 card which is faster. I
> can get it working manually (using the usual ifconfig ra0 up, iwconfig
> ra0 essid XXXXX etc).
>
> However I would love to get the rt61 working with network manager.
>
> Is there a file I can edit to change the interface from eth1 to ra0 ?
>
> I am running Ubuntu 6.10, and the NM version is 0.6.3.

Have you manually configured the card using the Ubuntu network config
tools?  Ubuntu has a distro-specific patch that makes NM ignore any card
you've manually configured.

Furthermore, what version of the rt61 driver, and is that a
mac80211-based driver?  It may be that the rt61 driver isn't quite ready
for prime-time, as the mac80211 stack (if that's what rt61 is based off
of) isn't quite ready for prime-time yet, though it's getting there.

Can you plug the rt61 card in and then run 'lsmod' ?

Dan