Re: running gnome applet as stand alone application

> Ack, this didn't get sent to the right place too, Sorry Daniel.
>
> > Well, the thing is that I don't want to run any trays. All I'm running
> > is sawfish which does nothing else than managing the windows which is
> > perfectly fine for me. If I could launch the networkmanager applet
> > window from command line that would be great.
>
> It needs the tray.  There are a number of standalone trays, or you can
> also run any panel that implements that part of the freedesktop spec.
> If you really want a different client, you might want to google
> pynetworkmanager.  I'm not sure what its development status is, or if
> it even works with the new version of NetworkManager.
>
> PS, check there if you want to develop a 'standalone' program.  AFAIK,
> the gnome-applet is in C, so the barrier to forking into a standalone
> program is higher.

It seems pynetworkmanager is abandonware, it completely disappeared
from the web (apart from a couple of dead links on pages of some linux
distros that were packaging it).

I guess I'll just have to look into the source then, but I think a
stand-alone application would be useful for quite many based on the
number of such queries on various email lists.

Cheers,
Daniel