Re: Problems connecting to wireless network

I have gotten this to work on FC5, but I have an Netgear MA401RA and a Microsoft MN-520 (both use the hostap drivers.) I had a few issues getting this going though.

A few suggestions:
1. I would stop the NM service, start the wpa_supplicant service and use wpa_gui to try to negotiate a connection to the AP.

If this works, then NM isn't configuring wpa_supplicant correctly. I don't know how to help this problem, but it might be a actual NM bug.

However, if you still can't get a connection then you probably have a network configuration conflict.

2. I would make sure that you have no devices configured on your wireless card (system-config-network-gui) and that there are no aliases in your /etc/modprobe.conf file to you wireless card.

3. A lot of people startup wpa_supplicant at the END of their ifup-wireless script and stop using NM. However, I had to start wpa_supplicant at the BEGINNING of my ifup-wireless script (don't use any of the traditional configuration script, make it a big ELSE section if you are using wpa_supplicant.) The traditional setup was putting my driver into some kind of state that rendered wpa_supplicant ineffective once it was started.

Maybe this will help a little...

JLP

dragoran wrote:
Mitchell Mebane wrote:
dragoran wrote:
Hello,
I have a laptop with a ipw3945 wireless interface card and using FC5 (x86_64) with wpa_supplicant-0.4.8-10.fc5 and NetworkManager-0.6.4-1.fc5. At work I have to configure this to be able to connect to the wireless network:
802.1x
WEP dynamic
EAP-PEAP with MS-CHAPv2
or
EAP-TTLS with MS-CHAPv2
and login with my username and password
But using networkmanager (I tryed wpa_enterprise and wpa2_enterprise) there is no option to select MS-CHAPv2 (wpa_supplicant man page says that it is supported).
Is this config supported with networkmanager ?
If not can I let networkmanager use a custom config file?
If both does not work/ is not possible, is this support planned for 0.7 (or any later version) ? Please help my I have been searching in google in the last 2 weeks but found nothing, thats why I am asking here.

I am also interested in getting EAP-PEAP with MSCHAPv2 working, as that's what my school network uses. Getting wireless working is really the only thing keeping me from switching to Linux at this point, so it would be nice if this is possible or planned.

Thanks,
Mitchell Mebane

any ideas/comments? has anyone connected to a such a network using NM?