Re: NM on FC5

Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings;

Apparently some update since back in mid-july has affected how the non-NM connections work as the profile I used for several weeks in the room next to this one no longer works, incapable of establishing a connection now. I even went through the system and deleted all copies of ifcfg-wlan0 except the one in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, but it still refuses to put the radio on the assigned channel of 6, but leaves it on channel 11 where there is no known access point.

This is an FC5 install, 386 version on an HP dv5120us with a 64 bit turion cpu. The radio is a broadcomm 4318, and is driven by the ndiswrapper facility.

iwlist outputs:
root diablo ~]# iwlist wlan0 scanning
Warning: Driver for device wlan0 has been compiled with version 20
of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 19.
Some things may be broken...

wlan0     Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: 00:0F:66:77:73:A0
                    ESSID:"xxxxxxxxxxx"
                    Protocol:IEEE 802.11g
                    Mode:Managed
                    Frequency:2.417 GHz (Channel 2)
Quality:0/100 Signal level:-84 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
                    Encryption key:off
                    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
                              24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
                              12 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s
                    Extra:bcn_int=100
                    Extra:atim=0
          Cell 02 - Address: 00:16:B6:CE:D1:9D
                    ESSID:"xxxxxxxxx"
                    Protocol:IEEE 802.11g
                    Mode:Managed
                    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
Quality:0/100 Signal level:-69 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
                    Encryption key:off
                    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
                              24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
                              12 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s
                    Extra:bcn_int=100
                    Extra:atim=0

As can be seen, the signal on ch 6 is wall to wall, but I cannot connect.

Can this possibly be related to the one char short ESSID thread I've been following here for quite some time? And if so, is it sufficient to just add a space to the end of the quoted string in my ifcfg-wlan0 file?

Also, the setup instructions I have links to are for older versions of NM, this is whats installed right now, but all disabled.

[root diablo ~]# rpm -qa|grep -i networkmanager
NetworkManager-gnome-0.6.4-1.fc5
NetworkManager-vpnc-0.6.2-1.fc5
NetworkManager-0.6.4-1.fc5
NetworkManager-devel-0.6.4-1.fc5
NetworkManager-debuginfo-0.6.3-1.fc5
NetworkManager-glib-0.6.4-1.fc5
NetworkManager-glib-devel-0.6.4-1.fc5

Is there a fresh link describing howto setup these newer versions?

And does it work well enough now its worth the extended hassle of trying to make it work?

I am currently running on a dlink DWL-810+ radio plugged into the ethernet port. Which works just fine.

--
Cheers, Gene