Re: "Autoip"

On Monday 13 November 2006 20:51, Chase Urich wrote:
> > I would like to hear a case where it is actually useful on by default for
> > your average user.
>
> I find it very useful when connecting my laptop via a crossover cable
> to another computer. Saves me the effort of bring the network
> connection up myself (or having to remember to enable the option
> first).

True - I don't doubt it has its uses, just that it's never good for me :-)

> That's kinda the point of NetworkManager ... zero (or little)
> configuration needed for most use cases.
>
> As to the notion of firing off different signals depending on
> connection status, that opens a whole can of worms. You cannot boil it
> down to just two, if that's the route taken. Just because you can
> connect to a DHCP server does not imply an Internet connection.

It shouldn't need to - it implies a _network_ connection.  imo, even in your
case, autoip is not useful unless it is talking to _some_ other member of a
network.  It's broadcasting some kind of signal saying that what its own IP
is, so it should also be able to tell if there are others on the network.  In
any case, I _should_ be able to turn it off.  I thought this was something to
do with zeroconf, but I also thought zeroconf was turned off.
--
derek