Re: "Autoip"

I also agree with Derek on this point. AutoIP is kind of dumb, if the
DHCP server fails then AutoIP does not help the user. The Auto IP
assigned is not going to be in the same range of the IP range that is
to be used.  So the connection is usless and Network Manger is telling
them everything is fine.

If there is an option AutoIP should be off by default. I would like to
hear a case where it is actually useful on by default for your average
user. It has been a bit annoying as it does give you a false since
that things are ok..then you can't connect to anywhere..you check the
IP and realize that AutoIP kicked in.

On 11/13/06, Derek Broughton <derek pointerstop ca> wrote:
On Monday 13 November 2006 00:25, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 20:01 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > How do I prevent Network manager from doing this really annoying
> > pseudo-connection with IP 169.254.56.71
> >
> > NetworkManager: <information>^INo DHCP reply received.  Automatically
> > obtaining IP via Zeroconf.
> > NetworkManager: <information>^Iautoip: Sending probe #0 for IP address
> > 169.254.56.71.
> >
> > I suppose if you have no Internet connection but you do have a LAN, it
> > might have some value - but really, most LANs have a DHCP server.  When I
> > can't reach my DHCP server I don't WANT the system to think I'm network
> > connected.
>
> Why can't it reach your DHCP server, but yet you are connected just fine
> to your access point?  It seems the problem is that the DHCP server is
> not responding, not what NM does when it can't find your DHCP server.

It can't reach my DHCP server because I am wired to a WRT50G in client mode,
wirelessly connected at great distance to my DHCP server and Internet
connection.  When the weather's really bad, the wireless connection doesn't
work.  Of course you're right that the problem is that my DHCP server isn't
responding - but I want my system to act as if that's the same as no network
connection, rather than configuring autoip.  It's not as if I can do anything
at all with that IP address.
--
derek