Re: "Autoip"

I would like to hear a case where it is actually useful on by default for your average
user.

I find it very useful when connecting my laptop via a crossover cable
to another computer. Saves me the effort of bring the network
connection up myself (or having to remember to enable the option
first). That's kinda the point of NetworkManager ... zero (or little)
configuration needed for most use cases.

As to the notion of firing off different signals depending on
connection status, that opens a whole can of worms. You cannot boil it
down to just two, if that's the route taken. Just because you can
connect to a DHCP server does not imply an Internet connection.

Chase Urich