Re: Great program!

Great news, I'll be waiting for the update to appear on dapper.

Three more things I have noticed in the past days, that may have already been mentioned on the list:

  1. Yesterday, at the home of a friend who has WiFi, NM was able to locate and configure the network. However, the signal was pretty flaky and I kept getting disconnected and then reconnected back again. The funny thing is, when it re-located the network, instead of pulling the password from the keyring, I had to reenter it as if this were the first time I was connecting to that network. Is this a bug or a design issue?
  2. I found no way of connecting to a network where the password was specified as any other number than one. This happened to me at my home, so I just reconfigured the router to use key #1, but I would like to know if it was me who could not find a way of doing this in NM, or this is not supported.
  3. The annoying "enter password to open keyring" thing will be handled fine once I install pam_keyring, since I use my login password as my keyring password. However, I believe it would still be a good idea to be able to specify some of the networks as global for any user in the system.

That's it. I'm still very happy with NM, and state once again my thanks to everyone involved in the project. Best regards.

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 10:27 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 21:19 -0400, Darren Albers wrote:
> On 6/7/06, Gonzalo Diethelm <gonzalo diethelm diethelm org> wrote:
> >

> > Yes, I am running Ubuntu (Dapper), and Network Manager is 0.6.2. I did try to do my homework and went over the bugs in Launchpad, but since I found several that could be related to this (31286, 44753, 34898 and 35225), didn't do anything... I hope you can ask them to backport it.
> >
> > Thanks again and best regards.
> >

> I'll take a look tonight, assuming the fix is somewhat trivial (and I
> seem to remember that it was) I am sure that it will be considered for
> dapper-updates.

Quite self-contained, should be a no-work patch:

cvs -z3 diff -u -r1.80.2.2 -r1.80.2.3 src/NetworkManagerPolicy.c

that should kill repeated keyring dialogs.

Gonzalo Diethelm
gonzalo diethelm aditiva com