Re: 2 questions...

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 18:20 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> >> Who said anything about requiring users to "SysAdmin type things"?  I
> >> never did.
> >
> > You said:
> >
> > "Meanwhile, storing network passwords in a place that only root/NM
> > can get to it?"
> >
> > I interpreted that as requiring a root password to change.
>
> Nope.  The NM service runs in the root context.  It can store data
> wherever it wants in a way that only "root" can read it.  That is
> perfectly sufficient for my wants and needs, and does not require
> anyone to type a root password or do any sysadminy-like things to
> configure.

It appears to me he's referring to something similar CUPS does. You can
edit your printers etc using gnome-cups-manager, without giving a root
password whatsoever (you just have to be in the lpadmin group).
Gnome-cups-manager just talks to the cupsd, which stores the printers.
Hence, no root passwords, and secure storage. Whether this is the sane
thing to do is not something I want to judge about.

--
Ruben Vermeersch (rubenv)
http://www.Lambda1.be/