Re: 2 questions...

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 16:54 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>:
>
> > All the wireless keys, preferred network, and which networks you're
> > actually allowed to connect to are stored per-user, as designed, and
> > also as designed, NetworkManager won't attempt to connect to a wireless
> > network without that data since it couldn't possibly know which one to
> > connect to.
>
> no offense intended, but I still disagree with that design choice.  It means you
> cannot use NM in a situation where you have wireless network and network-based
> login (e.g. Kerberos/Hesiod, NIS, etc).  In the current design you have to
> already be logged in in order to start the wireless network, which means you
> have to have a local account.

Oh, one other thing; my personal opinion (as opposed to the
occasional-NetworkManager-hacker opinion from my other post) is that
requiring network auth at login for laptops is pretty crack unless
you're in a very specific environment.

I mean...I see the value in single-sign-on systems like Kerberos, but as
a user I'd be unhappy if may laptop became a brick if I couldn't access
the wireless network temporarily for whatever reason.  Not to mention
simply taking the laptop on a road trip away from the office.

A while ago some Fedora hackers were working on "cached credentials" for
PAM; the idea is that when you logged in, the credentials would be
cached locally, so that if you were ever away from the network, you
could still log in.  I'm not sure what the status on that is.