Re: 2 questions...

Quoting Robert Love <rml novell com>:

> On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 16:54 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
> > IMNSHO it would be much better to store this information globally so that
> NM can
> > choose from pre-defined networks before the user is logged in.  This
> certainly
> > works fine for WEP or unprotected networks, and even for shared-key WPA
> > networks.  It might not work as well for interactive 802.1x
> authentication...
>
> I can see an argument for _also_ storing a set of wireless networks
> globally, but the keys and the preferred networks are definitely
> per-user.  At first I disliked this decision, too, but it definitely
> makes sense.

For a standard WEP key I see no reason to keep it per-user.  If you're sharing
your machine with multiple people you're generally sharing your network, too.
Besides, once the system is connected to one network it wont change to another
when you logout, so what's the point of not sharing the configuration?

> > Even Windows will setup the network before the login process, assuming the
> > wireless network was configured a priori!  How could Windows get something
> > right and Linux not?
>
> Are you serious? ;-)

Like a heart attack!

> FWIW, Mac OS X won't connect via wireless until you log in.

Uhh, I beg to differ.  The powerbook I've got right here with me appears to
connect to my WEP-protected wireless network before the login page shows up.

> 	Robert Love

-derek

       warlord MIT EDU                        PGP key available