Re: 2 questions...

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 16:54 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:

> IMNSHO it would be much better to store this information globally so that NM can
> choose from pre-defined networks before the user is logged in.  This certainly
> works fine for WEP or unprotected networks, and even for shared-key WPA
> networks.  It might not work as well for interactive 802.1x authentication...

I can see an argument for _also_ storing a set of wireless networks
globally, but the keys and the preferred networks are definitely
per-user.  At first I disliked this decision, too, but it definitely
makes sense.

> Even Windows will setup the network before the login process, assuming the
> wireless network was configured a priori!  How could Windows get something
> right and Linux not?

Are you serious? ;-)

FWIW, Mac OS X won't connect via wireless until you log in.

	Robert Love