Re: 2 questions...

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 17:16 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:

> For a standard WEP key I see no reason to keep it per-user.  If you're sharing
> your machine with multiple people you're generally sharing your network, too.

It might not be "my" network.  It might be my office versus my
girlfriend's bordello (they recently got wireless). Or it might be the
WEP key at my friend Joey's house, and Joey is a total jerk about who
can access his precious little network.

Plus, if its per-user, it can easily be encrypted and stored as a
secret.

> Besides, once the system is connected to one network it wont change to another
> when you logout, so what's the point of not sharing the configuration?

> > FWIW, Mac OS X won't connect via wireless until you log in.
>
> Uhh, I beg to differ.  The powerbook I've got right here with me appears to
> connect to my WEP-protected wireless network before the login page shows up.

Aren't the keys stored in the keyring?

Maybe it automatically reconnects to the previous network, but if it
cannot find that, I seem to recall it was not able to pull in a key for
a different access point until you logged in.

Maybe I am wrong, I can check Tiger when I get home.

	Robert Love