Re: 2 questions...

On 7/25/05, Robert Love <rml novell com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 16:54 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
> > IMNSHO it would be much better to store this information globally so that NM can
> > choose from pre-defined networks before the user is logged in.  This certainly
> > works fine for WEP or unprotected networks, and even for shared-key WPA
> > networks.  It might not work as well for interactive 802.1x authentication...
>
> I can see an argument for _also_ storing a set of wireless networks
> globally, but the keys and the preferred networks are definitely
> per-user.  At first I disliked this decision, too, but it definitely
> makes sense.

is the reasoning behind this decision documented somewhere?  I can
only find references to it behaving "as designed" and that "it
definitely makes sense" to work this way, but can't find why it
definitely makes sense.  it seems like this could be a very commonly
asked question, and the answer to is is definitely not clear.

Thanks,
-Joe