Re: 2 questions...

Robert Love wrote:

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 16:54 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:

IMNSHO it would be much better to store this information globally so that NM can
choose from pre-defined networks before the user is logged in.  This certainly
works fine for WEP or unprotected networks, and even for shared-key WPA
networks.  It might not work as well for interactive 802.1x authentication...

I can see an argument for _also_ storing a set of wireless networks
globally, but the keys and the preferred networks are definitely
per-user.  At first I disliked this decision, too, but it definitely
makes sense.
I would be happy with the ability to bring up the wireless, or otherwise, from the command line(and get confirmation that it is up). This way I can create an init script in place of my distro's init scripts, and bring other network services up at boot time.

Or it could be simple as a command line switch for NetworkManager to bring up the connection when it is started. Perhaps even block until it is.

The ability to restart these when my ip changes etc is unimportant because very few are affected by the change.