Re: DHCP Issues

On Friday 09 December 2005 14:47, Paul Dugas wrote:
> I attached libpcap dumps (from Ethereal) with the first note.  Is that
> okay or should I rerun the captures or crack them to text?

I just hadn't noticed them - sorry about that.

Anyway, what you captured was just the transmission, not the whole picture.
That's why I gave you a tcpdump command line - I know it will capture the
whole picture, particularly if you run it on your client (if you have a smart
ethernet switch, you probably won't see anything but broadcast packets if you
run the packet capture on a different machine).

The first set of three packets are DHCPREQUEST packets, meaning that the
client had a lease and was trying to reacquire it.   The second set are all
DHCPDISCOVERs, meaning that the client is now trying to get a new lease, and
has given up on its old lease.

So that's one obvious difference.   But without seeing the whole protocol
interaction, it's impossible to draw any further conclusions.   One
suggestion: do your ifup, as usual, then do an ifdown and another ifup, and
see if the client again gets its lease.   Because the ifdown causes the
client to release its lease, it should definitely start up in the INIT state,
rather than the INIT-REBOOT state, meaning that it will start off with a
DHCPDISCOVER, not a DHCPREQUEST.