Re: DHCP Issues

On Friday 09 December 2005 14:27, Dan Williams wrote:
> That could be it... NM by design doesn't change the hostname of the
> machine, because that horribly, horribly screws up X.

IMHO it shouldn't change the hostname - the hostname is something the machine
knows, not something the server knows.   Apparently the authors of whatever X
thing it is that screws up agree.   :')

DHCP provides a host-name option that the server can use to configure the
client, but generally speaking the way this option is actually used is by the
client to tell the server its hostname.   It is possible that NM is doing
something different in that regard than the stock DHCP client.   it's also
possible I'm barking up the wrong tree.   The tcpdump output will tell us
which.