Re: Simplified Nautilus (with less chrome)

Alexander Larsson skrev:
On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 10:57 +0100, Marcus Carlson wrote:
As I've not seen the code yet I do believe that the toolbar editor will have less "control" over the widgets now that the places widget is outside of the normal toolbar and inside the file viewer instead, making the simplifications by DanRabbit (and others) impossible without touching the code. We could of course add a places widget to the toolbar as well and have a setting to show the other places widget inside the file viewer or not, but that isn't ideal.

That's one thing I could find a bit negative about the splitview thing...

Yeah, this sort of comes automatically with supporting a split view
feature. (Since we need to show two location bars then)

I'm don't really think its a great idea to have the location on the
normal toolbar though. It really limits the length of the rest of the
location bar (or forces you to have a wide window) to get a reasonable
view of long filenames. (Or you could have a really really short
toolbar, but thats also limiting in other aspects.)

The simplified UIs shown excel in having a clean looking user interface
that "looks" simple. However, I question if they are really simple to
use. The lack of menus and (to a lesser extent) many of the toolbar
items means the are less discoverable and thus harder to use for a new
user.

Its interesting to not that OSX doesn't have the path bar in the
toolbar, but they put the pathbar *below* the directory view:

http://www.pranadharma.com/images/osx_finder_column_view.png

Except the placement below the view, this is kinda simlar to the split
view nautilus UI, with a bunch of items removed from the toolbar and the
menu moved from the window to a global menu.

Well, if the places widget is in the toolbar at least the (experienced) user or the distro can change it and put it in a separate toolbar or in a the main one. Also I think that the current places widget takes up too much place and a breadcumb one would make it smaller and more likely to fit better in the main toolbar (especially if you remove some of the lesser used buttons as well). Still having the freedom with an editor would be the best. Note that I've not used the splitview feature yet and its been years since I last tried one so maybe all of this is worth it...