Re: Simplified Nautilus (with less chrome)

I agree that the toolbar has not become too much more complex, but
with all of the interest in a simplified default toolbar, to add even
one more widget seems completely counterproductive and against the
interest of most users.

On the other hand, changing the location bar to fit just over the file
view is a really nice change. It's a much better use of space, as you
pointed out.

I think you're approach to the split view is reasonable -- you
acknowledge that it really increases the complexity of the
application, but users who don't use it won't be affected much;
however, I do think you underestimate how much more confusing and
unpleasant the default toolbar becomes for the majority of users, even
when only one or two widgets are added. Perhaps we can simply remove
the zoom and view selector from the toolbar entirely? These features
are used relatively rarely, are accessible in the View menu, and have
great shortcuts.

David

--

Sent from Minneapolis, MN, United States