Re: Simplified Nautilus (with less chrome)

Alexander Larsson skrev:

Wrt the toolbar, all we've done is move two widgets (view selector and
zoom). Additionally the "extra" toolbar has now been removed and the
location/pathbar has been made more of a "normal" non-toolbar item.

Where do you see the increase in complexity? Obviously there is a bit
less white space now, as the main toolbar has more stuff, but at the
same time this has lead to more space for the file view. Also, the
toolbar is longer now, but this is not a problem if the window is wide.
For a less wide window this means the zoom and view selector are hidden
(since they have less priority), but these are not that commonly used
widgets and loosing them in favour of more important widgetry when space
is tight seems like the right approach.

Of course, this doesn't mean I think this is the ideal layout of the
toolbar (witness the simplification efforts for instance, and the wish
for a toolbar editor, clearly there are at least some good ideas out
there). However, I contend that it is somehow much more complex than the
previous default. We could start discussing a better layout at any time,
but codewise it would be best to finish the toolbar editor work first
before implementing a change of default.

As I've not seen the code yet I do believe that the toolbar editor will have less "control" over the widgets now that the places widget is outside of the normal toolbar and inside the file viewer instead, making the simplifications by DanRabbit (and others) impossible without touching the code. We could of course add a places widget to the toolbar as well and have a setting to show the other places widget inside the file viewer or not, but that isn't ideal.

That's one thing I could find a bit negative about the splitview thing...

Best regards,
Marcus