Re: remove "Link to" in front of symbolic links created by Nautilus

Am Dienstag, den 09.09.2008, 11:32 +0100 schrieb Calum Benson:
> On 8 Sep 2008, at 23:25, Baptiste Mille-Mathias wrote:
>
> > Beos had an interesting way to show symbolic links by putting a
> > specific style, if I remember correctly the filename was set in
> > italic, and underlined.
>
> MacOS 9 used to this as well (it just used italics).  Was never sure
> whether I liked it or not, not least because italic fonts don't tend
> to render too well at smallish sizes on computer screens.
>
> Whatever we end up doing, it would be good to resolve the apparently
> random inconsistency between the filenames of copies ("Filename
> (copy).ext") and the filenames of links ("Link to Filename.ext").

My educated guess is that “Filename (copy).ext” was chosen because when
the view is sorted by name, “Copy of Filename.ext” would just appear at
a seemingly-random position, that is visually far away from the original
“Filename.ext”. Of course, that is true for “Link to ...” as well.

best regards,
 Christian Neumair

--
Christian Neumair <cneumair gnome org>