Re: Fuse mount always opens nautilus window

David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 07:14 +1300, Jason Taylor wrote:
>> That dosn't seem ideal shutting off the windows for users usb sticks etc.
>>
>> There's no way we can do it per mount?
>>
>> Maybe if the mount point starts with a . ?
>>
>> How does the gvfs fuse bridge get around this?
>>
>> GNOME nautilus 2.22.0
>>
>> I thought the whole point of the /media folder was to say if you mount
>> here then show on deskstop?
>> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#MEDIAMOUNTPOINT
>>
>> Whats the benefit of doing this for all mount points?
>
> We're showing mounts only in /media and $HOME. That's the policy we
> decided on.
>
> And, yes, we should probably avoid showing mount points that start with
> with a dot. Can you file a bug for that please? Then we can get that
> into the next glib stable release.
>
> Btw, the root cause is a bug in Nautilus. We only should be opening
> windows for devices that we mount from Nautilus itself. Right now that's
> a little bit hard since volume monitoring is decentralized. Something
> we're planning to fix for 2.24. Alex?
>
>       David

Is this the same reason that my unmounted partitions show up in the
"places" sidebar? (When using Mandriva 2008.1 RC2.)

My hard drive is partitioned in 4 ("/", "/usr", "/home" for my stable
install, and another "/" for a test install). In 2.22's Nautilus, I see
the first three unmounted volumes. My guess is that I'll see the fourth
from my stable install once I upgrade.

This is kind of annoying. I can understand using "Computer" as a
catch-all, but the places sidebar is a convenience feature. It's not
very convenient when my links (at the bottom) are drowned by a list of
partitions I never want to mount.

(As an aside, I remember the discussion on this list with Fred Crozat
involving /mnt vs. /media - so if this is a Mandriva-specific behavior,
I'll bring it up there.)

In any case, great job getting gvfs/gio up and running in just a year.
>From what I've seen (on list, in docs, in the presentation slides), the
future looks very promising...

- John