Re: [Nautilus-list] Nice feature to implement in future releases

Am Dienstag, den 02.12.2008, 20:39 +0100 schrieb Giacomo Bordiga:
> I really cannot understand what you are saying. You are stating that
> what i'm saying is naive and far from reality, right? Let's take a
> look.
>
> Giacomo Bordiga:
> > Before implementing it someone should really read the patent and
> search for other patents maybe covering other cases.
>
> Is this advice too weak? Because there is already a patent maybe
> covering the feature should i just give up coding it?

Please don't generalize. There's a huge difference to *knowing* about
existing patents and ignoring them intentionally when writing or
committing code. That's what we talked about here, not about coding in
general.

> Giacomo Bordiga:
> >You do not have to be a lawyer to check if a feature is covered by
> patents.
> Only lawyers can state if a feature is covered by a patent or not?

In fact: Yes.
You can state everything too - you have freedom of speech. But the
decision will still be made by a court, no matter what you've stated
before.

>From your email before:
"every feature implemented (not only this one) should be proved patent
free by the author if he doesn't want any problems."

I'd love to see an example for such an existing "prove".
And do you think only the author would be sued, but not the reviewer,
not the committer, not the foundation hosting the codebase, not the
companies shipping the code?

Anyway... I'm out.

andre
--