Re: Suggestion: The option to open a folder in a New Tab instead of a New Window.

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 22:35 +1000, Mark Thiele wrote:

> I've developed a real interest in open source software now, but still
> haven't learnt anything but the barest basics of hacking. No-one seems
> really interested in giving me any pointers on where to start with it
> all, so I've stuck a folder full of source for nautilus on my desktop
> and I'll explore as I have time.

start with the docs/ dir. Also, read this gnome overview:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/platform-overview/2.19/

> Wouldn't allowing tabs through a wm raise the same issues in nautilus as
> the others say a patch would? Tabs would definitely seem to the way
> popular computer usage is going though.

One better thing would be that all applications would behave the same
wrt tabs, instead of each application implementing window management on
their own in their own way. The window manager has a better "global"
view of the windows and the desktop, so it can likely do a better job
too.

However, that said, I don't think a tabbed window manager is a good
default for a desktop either. Its a nice option though.