Re: Results of burning with Nautilus

Patrick Jacquot wrote:
Le samedi 15 avril 2006 �6:19 -0400, Benjamin Sher a �it :

Patrick 9 wrote:

Le samedi 15 avril 2006 �4:53 -0400, Benjamin Sher a �it :

Dear friends:

I succeeded burning my 3:45 minute (7.1 GB) DVD compressed (to 4.3 GB
and copied and decrypted by K9copy. Two things:

1) While burning with Nautilus I was completely unable to do anything
else. It took up all of my PCLINUXOS system and if I tried to use any
other application, it would freeze Linux.

Nautilus-cd-burner takes maximum priority to be sure it will be able
to always fill the burner's buffer. There is some time when you can't do
anything else

2) In the final result, two major VOB files were missing. This may have
had more to do with K9Copy than with Nautilus. Just reporting the facts.

Thank you.

Benjamin

You're welcome

--
Patrick

Dear Patrick:

In all due respect, K9Copy and K3b allow you to use other applications
without any problem. One of the chief attractions of Linux is true
multi-tasking, and if I am going to make copies of movies, I don't
want to have to put everything else aside for an hour or two while the
movie is copied, decrypted, compressed and burned. I want it to be all
in the background unlike in Windows where you couldn't or shouldn't
even try to do the same with Nero or any software while multi-tasking
(since multi-tasking in Windows, as we know it, is just a joke). But I
am glad to know that Nautilus CD/DVD Burning is available and there
are times when I may wish to use it.

Thank you.

Benjamin

Dear Benjamin,
The burning process is constituted of two phases:
1 - preparation of the ISO image
	During that phase, you can do about anything else you want
3 - Burning proper
	During that phase, I noticed that CD-burner takes all
The first phase is usually longer than the second one.
HTH

--
Patrick

Dear Patrick:

Thank you very much for the info. Will certainly prove useful.

Benjamin