Re: Nautilus CD Burning

Benjamin Sher píše v Pi 14. 04. 2006 v 13:22 -0400:
> I am sorry to disagree. The ///burn location looks like a protocol.
> There is no way in the world to guess that you are supposed to place
> the files from My Computer BELOW this in the empty, blank space that
> could mean everything and nothing. Why cause your users to agonize
> over something that a simple arrow and/or explanatory text can easily
> prevent. After all, isn't Nautilus CD Burning meant for the ordinary
> user? I'll bet even more experienced users will be baffled by the
> present situation. I have never seen a program that is so simple made
> so agonizingly complicated to the point of madness.

I think Nautilus Burner is very simple but its approach is not common
and users don't expect burning that way. I personally prefer "standard"
applications like Gnomebaker but that applications are not so intuitive
for newbies. For newbies is Nautilus Burner better but there should be
some hints how to burn.

To make Nautilus Burner more intuitive I suggest put in places sidebar
Burn location so users will be able drag and drop files on it in single
window (I can do that on my own but newbie not). And when user goes into
this location when is empty, there should be text (in icon view) like
"To add files and folders for burning drag and drop them to that window
or to Burn location in places sidebar." And maybe to not have lots of
specialized locations in sidebar it could be burner device itself (if
there is inserted blank or no CD). Think about what would be better.

Screenshot at http://chabada.sk/better-desktop/img/nautilus-burner.png

--
Peter Chabada