Re: Nautilus View / Listeners compared with Windows Namespace extension questions

On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 13:20, Mads Villadsen wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 12:43, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > Nautilus uses the freedesktop.org thumbnail standard, which means normal
> > thumbnails have a size of 128x128 (which is then downscaled to the used
> > size). I'm not sure larger thumbnails make much sense, but the standard
> > does allow you to use 256x256 thumbnails in the "large" directory.
>
> That was why I thought that an extension might be relevant. 256x256
> probably isn't enough if yuo want to be able to use a digital camera
> view to perform operations (rotations, color balancing, etc.) directly
> from the nautilus view. It should be a scaling of the image, probably
> only saved as a thumbnail until th next time the icon is resized.
>
> I may, however, be on crack :-)

To some degree. While we do want some amount of plugability in Nautilus
so that people can extend it to do new and cool things it is still at
its core just a file-manager, and the extensions should match that. The
operations you describe really aren't part of file management (except on
a bizzarely high level where every way to change file content is
managing files).

The UI for a file manager will always be there, and any additional
extension of the UI still has to live inside this world (sharing
concepts, menus, key shortcuts etc). Having a photo managing studio
inside nautilus is never gonna be as efficient and easy to use as a real
standalone app focusing on that. Doing it all in Nautilus just gives you
an over-complicated filemanager and an inefficient user interface and
implementation for the photo manager.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a maverick chivalrous boxer with acid for blood. She's a foxy
cigar-chomping opera singer living on borrowed time. They fight crime!