Re: Proposal for bug 73937 / symlinks in nautilus

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 23:47, Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> The reason i prefer symlinks to work as they do in the shell is that i
> use them to symlink folders in my home dir from another hd partition
> (these include my evo folder and other personal folders,so that when i
> upgrade my distro I don't have to worry about backing up my home dir).
>
> dave

Thats what I think, too :)

Comments to ".desktop files and symlinks":

People say symlinks should be treated as .desktop files.
I think symlinks and .desktop files should not be mixed up.
So a symlink should not be treated as a .desktop file until a .desktop file is defined as a symlink.
We saw in an earlier posting how symlinks can be configured via the shell (many ways).
My opinion is to present symlinks - in every program - like the shell does.
.desktop files should be treated as ...  .desktop files.

If the user "treats" symlinks as .desktop files because nautilus does,
he will wonder about a file selection dialog which treats symlinks like the sehll does.
I think the behavior of nautilus to expand symlinks and the fact that the filesel does not
seems to be a discussion of consistency. THE solution should provide consistency.
As long as nautilus is the only "desktop" program which expands symlinks there IS a big useability/consistency problem.

If the user doesn't know about symlinks...he won't create symlinks.

If symlinks are so bad, then all symlinks should be replaced by .desktop files.

(I want nautilus not to expand symlinks if the shell doesn't expand symlinks .... PLEASE)

--
Rolf Kulemann

Men's skin is different from women's skin.  It is usually bigger, and
it has more snakes tattooed on it.  Also, if you examine a woman's skin
very closely, inch by inch, starting at her shapely ankles, then gently
tracing the slender curve of her calves, then moving up to her ...
	[EDITOR'S NOTE: To make room for news articles about important
	 world events such as agriculture, we're going to delete the
	 next few square feet of the woman's skin.  Thank you.]
... until finally the two of you are lying there, spent, smoking your
cigarettes, and suddenly it hits you: Human skin is actually made up of
billions of tiny units of protoplasm, called "cells"!  And what is even
more interesting, the ones on the outside are all dying!  This is a
fact.  Your skin is like an aggressive modern corporation, where the
older veteran cells, who have finally worked their way to the top and
obtained offices with nice views, are constantly being shoved out the
window head first, without so much as a pension plan, by younger
hotshot cells moving up from below.
		-- Dave Barry, "Saving Face"