Re: Proposal for bug 73937 / symlinks in nautilus

> On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 23:47, Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>
>> The reason i prefer symlinks to work as they do in the shell is that i
>> use them to symlink folders in my home dir from another hd partition
>> (these include my evo folder and other personal folders,so that when i
>> upgrade my distro I don't have to worry about backing up my home dir).

DISCLAIMER: I haven't really followed this thread much ...

But, I just wanted to say that even though it is not consistent with the
traditional Unix way, the "expand symlinks" behaviour in Nautilus is quite
useful. In fact it makes more sense since we have a "Back" and "Up"
button. If I follow a symlink and want to go back to my previous directory
tree I press "Back", but if I want to go up in the new directory tree I
press "Up". Makes a lot of sense to me.

One could argue the reason the shell doesn't do it like that is because
there is no "cd <go back>" command. ;)

Just my two cents,

- Frank