Re: SV: [Nautilus-list] Desktop folder

On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 17:07, David Bordoley wrote:
    I've reconsidered:

    I think this would be an acceptable solution if

    1. All program directories in the home (evolution, openoffice.org)
    directory are hidden. ( this is very important, probably would take a
    little effort on our part to convince everyone at OO.org and evolution)

Yeah. This is a pain. Evolution dir will probably become at least
configurable for hidden dir. And it should default to whatever Nautilus
defaults, so that if we start defaulting $HOME for desktop, evo should
default to a hidden dir so things make sense. But yea, some apps like
realplayer are annoying (and realplayer even makes a world writable dir
to your homedir, the last time I checked)

Staroffice/openoffice can be installed to a hidden dir too.

    2. If start here was included by default in the home dir

This shouldnt be hard really.

    3. If trash was included by default in the home dir

It is on my desktop which is $HOME. I think it was there by default.

    4. If a documents folder was included in the home dir.

Is it included in the desktop dir? Having such thing would be a good
idea though, as one really wants to make a bunch of folders to store the
files or the desktop becomes cluttered, just like the homedir.

    With these changes, this would probably be an acceptable paradigm for us
    to use.

Yea. I mean, my experience is that it starts to feel more and more
natural the more I use it. It is just that all other applications work
centered on your homedirectory as well, so everything defaults to the
right place. But like I said, I think it makes sense to have it
configurable for people who want Nautilus primarily for launchers and
storing urls on the desktop (dragged from the browser)

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::