Re: SV: [Nautilus-list] Desktop folder

> I dunno. I need to ask Ettore. Personally I wish to do a
> s/evolution/.evolution/g as soon as possible, since there really is no
> reason I can think of why it is a non-hidden dir. It's not like a user
> should be going there to poke stuff with the filemanager..

You might still want to do simple things like copying the directory over
to another machine.

If you make it hidden and you also make the desktop the only way to
browse the home directory, then there is no way for an end user to back
up his Evolution data and move it around.

It sure will be configurable at some point (1.2 most likely), but not in
1.0.x and not because of Nautilus.

BTW, if you don't want users to access the contents of directories like
~/evolution, we could add a metadata property that marks a directory as
"non browsable by default", and when you enter it Nautilus could display
some blurb about how the contents of the directory shouldn't be
manipulated, unless the user does something explicit (like e.g. changing
to the "Advanced" user level or clicking a "browse at my own risk"
button or something).

> of help. But I just think the most clear and simple case is to just have
> home and desktop be the same thing.

Please, no. :-)

The desktop directory should just be easily accessible from file
selectors.  KDE got it right by calling it ~/Desktop.

--
Ettore