Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: [Galeon-devel] native scrollbars (again)

<quote who="Daniel Erat">

> There's been a lot of talk about Galeon having too many preferences, but
> I haven't seen many examples of specific prefs that should be removed.

I think you just made one of those Titanic "show me the money" boo-boos...

;)

I'll provide a list of what I consider to be superfluous preferences; and I
offer them as a happy user of Galeon. I hope you can look into these and
turn Galeon into the most usable browser for GNOME, as well as the hippest.

> The Tab Colors colorpickers were mentioned, but what should the defaults
> or alternate color-choosing behavior be?  (Remember, the text has to be at
> least readable, and ideally not ugly, when used in conjunction with every
> GTK theme that someone may be using.)

Then base them on the GTK+ colours. You could even use the Nautilus icon
label magic colour code to do it - it won't have the same issues that
Nautilus has on the desktop because they'll be sitting on a single colour.

And now, the list (I'll ignore the abundant use of menus and menu items in
this list, and focus on the prefs box - something should be done about the
menus as well; they look like KDE menus):

  * On Startup / On New Page -> agree on something sane for both

  * When Adding Bookmarks -> just use the page title, the user doesn't want
    to be harassed every time they open a tab, and titles are well
    understood

  * Show Folder Actions -> just put it somewhere sane, the bottom is good
    (this is menu craziness, you can do all of these things far more easily
    in the editor)

  * AutoBookmarks -> unless this has serious performance issues, just do it
    automagically for a good number; 15 is the default, may as well use that

  * Smart Bookmarks -> You can fit the entries to the toolbar area, and
    again, unless there are serious performance concerns, history should be
    automagic. Extra buttons and clearing? Choose something sane!

  * History -> what's a 'whole' or 'simplified' URL? Do I care? Just make it
    work for me. Shouldn't autocompletion happen automagically?

  * Remember zoom settings -> with a perky zoom box, this shouldn't be an
    issue.

  * Tabbed Browsing -> most of these are crack, and should just behave in an
    expected way for 'interactive tabs'

  * Tab names -> crack, just make it work, I don't have to worry about any
    of these prefs at all

  * Tab colours -> as mentioned above, you can tailor these to the GTK+
    theme programatically.

  * Window Title -> just make it make sense (%s - Galeon is a recognised
    standard ala netscape, etc. people are familiar with it)

  * Fullscreen / Default layout -> shouldn't these just be interactive,
    rather than in the prefs box?

  * Toolbar customisation should probably stay (who cares about customising
    their spinner, unless they're mad-crazy type A or don't have anything
    better to do?)

  * Context menus / history popup -> just do this as well as the history
    toolbar buttons

  * Mouse buttons -> should seriously do sane things whoever's browser i'm
    using (paste url (feature!) / context menu)

  * mouse wheel -> i've never worked out why lots of browsers think i care
    enough to change these settings (Just Make It Work! JMIW!)

  * Downloading / Programs / MIME Types -> these seem ok, i guess, but some
    could just be determined from the gnome environment, etc.

  * Fonts / colours -> a browser preference mainstay ;)

  * Languages -> my unispeak ass won't be complaining here ;)

  ( Advanced stuff )

  * Network -> usual stuff for people on odd networks

  * Filtering / Persistent data -> pretty worthy

  * Crash recovery -> couldn't this just be asked at startup?

- Jeff

--
   "It's actually my new bandwidth conservation technique: compresion of
                     al double leters." - Telsa Gwynne