Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: [Galeon-devel] native scrollbars (again)

On Wed, 2001-10-24 at 18:40, Jens Lautenbacher wrote:
    > some more GUI-related ones are in many WM prefs dialogs
    > ("focus windows that don't ask for focus," "ignore program-specified
    > positions," that kind of thing).

    I'm positively sure that my girlfriend is unable to get anything useful
    out of the current sawfish control capplet --- and that's not her fault.

The funny thing is, on both Windows and Mac, there is *no such thing* at
all, and things work well. Another example of "do it right first, and
then you dont need to have everything configurable!".

I mean, I dont scream every day that I want to change the "shade" button
of MacOS window manager to be on the left side of the title bar. MacOS
works pretty darn well for a desktop that doesnt have configurable
keybindings and only has one mouse button. And it works so well because
every application works the same way, and the stuff is consistent
accross the whole OS. So once you learn one application, it is easy to
adapt the others too. There is a "look and feel" config tool on MacOS
but it has just a few things you can change.

    Here Havoc's idea of using the gconf editor applies: It's nice to be
    able to customize everything, but please put it out of the GUI for
    everyday options, and apply good defaults. I don't want nautilus or a
    webbrowser to become just another emacs.

Yep. I mean, basically we dont need to show the sawfish capplet at all
on the control center. We set the defaults to be sane and usable. There
is "metatheme" to change the sawfish look. The number of virtual
desktops setting is more at home in the desk guide config. And the Desk
Guide config would be enough with just "Number of desktops" and "Fill
thumbnails with window contents" settings. I mean, the rest is more or
less non-important stuff that should just be made to work right. I dont
care if "the area grid is over tasks", it should just be the way that
works better.

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::