Re: [Muine] [Patch] Better album defining

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 18:28 +0200, Viet Yen Nguyen wrote:

> When it comes down to the patch, my only objection is the removal of the
> punctuation, as this could lead to severe mistakes. The idea of a
> canonical form of lowercase chars is to my opinion a nice idea.

Give me a case where the punctuation fails? I'd also advocate removing
punctuation in comparing artist names, so that albums aren't listed as
containing songs by both "N.E.R.D." and "nerd", but unfortunately that
would break with "!!!" (damn them)

However I think there are already heuristics which have the potential to
fail in languages other than english (German songs which start as "Die"
vs English songs which begin with Die: will the german translation list
"Another Day, Die"?)

> The ease of downloading, compiling, installing software is not a problem
> that I see as one of ours. To my opinion, it is up to the distributors,
> like Red Hat and SuSE, to distribute the software in a friendly manner.

True, but it all comes down to the user experience, and if the user
isn't even aware of what a tag or what retagging is, or even that they
can change the tags, then things are going to look like Muine is silly.

> Furthermore, the installation of software is actually the task of a
> systems administrator,

I'm sorry? The installation of software is the task of the owner of the
computer. You should not have to be a sysadmin to be able to install
software. Yes, this might be a distro issue, but passing it off as a
"sysadmin" task is just sounding elitest.

iain