Re: [Muine] [Patch] Better album defining

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 18:27, iain wrote:

Hi,

> > For music tags there is, one of those programs is called easytag. Since
> > this program exists, and does work well to a certain degree and/or
> > perspective, a workaround would not be necessary.
> >
> > What perhaps could be nice is to let Muine cooperate with Easytag, so
> > that when needed for proper tagging, Easytag will be activated for its
> > use.
>
> "Waltz for Koop" or "Waltz For Koop"
> Which is right, which is wrong?
> I don't want to tag my music and worry about minutia like "This album
> doesn't have the same tag as this album", I just want the 6 songs from
> "Waltz for Koop" to appear as the one album.

When it comes down to the patch, my only objection is the removal of the
punctuation, as this could lead to severe mistakes. The idea of a
canonical form of lowercase chars is to my opinion a nice idea.

But my objection is more of "where we define the scope and thus its
limits". As I believe that proper tagging is still a better and final
solution, and Easytag being one of the viable possibilities, it should
be imposed on the user.

Your patch, if it does not remove punctuations, is something I also
believe that should be included in the source. The choice is Jorns
ofcourse. The reason for me to keep this discussion going, is that I
believe this patch should not invite for more extreme measures for
poorly tagged collections, and therefore I see and prefer an adaption of
this patch, as I suggested, as the limit.

When I speak of more extreme measures, I am thinking of the Amazon
retrieving code, which is more "aggressive", as you might have noticed.

> And for what its worth, knowing why "Waltz for Koop" and "Waltz For
> Koop" don't match, knowing that you can fix it, finding out how to fix
> it, finding easytag, downloading it, compiling it, installing it and
> then running it and sitting for a long time to fix the tags (I've got
> about 1000 mp3s, most of which have something wrong with the tags, I
> have friends who have many many more, with worse tags than mine), is not
> userfriendly when all you *really* want to do, is simply hear some
> music.

The ease of downloading, compiling, installing software is not a problem
that I see as one of ours. To my opinion, it is up to the distributors,
like Red Hat and SuSE, to distribute the software in a friendly manner.

Furthermore, the installation of software is actually the task of a
systems administrator, which unfortunately is out of each for most
people. Distributors should make the best of it...

Viet Yen