Re: [Muine] iRadio mockup

On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 20:32, Link Dupont wrote:

> > It would be nice to show the history of played stations when the users
> > pressed the "Play Station" button. It seems that we are on the right
> > track to an usable radio application :)
> Yea I've thought about this. What exactly should the "Play Station"
> button do? Open up a dialog to pick a new station? Or start playing to
> currently open station? If the former, then we'd need a "Play current
> station" button or something simliar. I think this is where I was going
> with the seperate "Play" button and "New station" button. The "Play"
> button plays the currently loaded station, and the "New station" button
> opens a dialog to pick and load a different station.

Hmm, now I am thinking of it... I like the concept of a "New Station".
Secondly, with this, the stop button should be replaced by a
"Hold/Resume" button, as I believe there is no notion of playing a radio
station, it just plays when New Station has been used for choosing a new
station. The stream can only be hold or resumed. Users can play another
station by the "New Station" button.

I could be missing things, because I never listen to radiostreams...

> Hell we could even
> check and see if the user has a rhythmbox iradio playlist and import it
> automagically. ;) If the dialog contains different stations, we'd need a
> way of adding them, as well as keeping the station URIs up-to-date. As
> mirrors come and go. Shoutcast.com has a big listing of stations.
> Perhaps an amazon-style getting of playlists (instead of images) could
> be achieved? Maybe only performed on user request by having an "Update
> stations" menu item.

The way how Epiphany handles history is perhaps a nice way to deal with
previous listened stations. For now, I do not see the need for equipping
default stations, as I believe that most streaming users come to the
site first in order to engage the stream.

> One application that may come in handy when brainstorming this iRadio
> app is streamtuner[1]. Its UI is attrocious, but its got some nice
> fundamental streaming music concepts.
>
> 1: http://www.nongnu.org/streamtuner/

The UI is indeed not my taste, but it looks like we could learn a few
things from this application.

Viet Yen