Re: [Muine] Re: Introducing Muine, Rhythmbox in 2.8 and other things

On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 14:19, Jorn Baayen wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 13:32 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 07:23, Jorn Baayen wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, Rhythmbox works well for the picker people. And Muine works at
> > > least as well there: The "Play album"/"Play song" buttons ..
> >
> > Oh, I agree it supports it, I'm just not sure it's as straightforward.
>
> Have you given it a shot?

I've tried; my attempts at installing Muine have been a long saga - the
first time I tried, rpm.livna.org was down so I couldn't get libid3tag,
and Muine has no option to disable MP3.  More recently that came back
up, and I tried again, but got lost in a sea of Mono dependencies.  I
finally today made a push to get that all figured out today and running,
and after I got Muine to configure, during the build I get:

Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/muine-0.6.0/src'
wsdl ./AmazonSearchService.wsdl
Mono Web Services Description Language Utility
Writing file 'AmazonSearchService.cs'
make[2]: *** [AmazonSearchService.cs] Segmentation fault

I'm kind of stuck there (it doesn't seem like a Muine bug).

> I personally think it is quite hard to make playing an album more
> straightforward than pressing the big "Play album" button :)

Oh I'm not saying it's bad or anything - just that it's a bit more
indirect.  When you launch Rhythmbox your albums are right there
visible.  It's not necessarily clear that clicking "Play Album" will let
you pick from your collection and then play.  (By the way, you should
add an ellipsis there to help make clear there's more to the action).

> Here we hit another Rhythmbox usability problem btw- to many first-time
> users (of the "newbie" kind) it is not obvious you have to doubleclick a
> song to get started. Of course, to play a song when nothing is playing
> you can press "Play", but after that it gets "complicated".

That's true.

> That indeed still has to be seen.

Yeah; I'm interested in the result.

> But for one thing I think the playlist filling is a whole lot more
> useful than pressing "Shuffle" on everything. With playlist filling I
> can say things like, OK, tonight I want to listen to whatever Jazz and
> classical music I happen to have. (We'd have Jazz and Classical groups
> autogenerated from all songs with their genre tag set to
> Jazz/Classical). I have such a variety of styles in my collection that
> having totally random stuff play is extremely annoying: I mean, I
> certainly don't want to hear Opeth when I'm almost falling asleep on
> Enya. Of course I could make a playlist with Rhythmbox, and than start
> to shuffle play that, but that can almost be called a project-

As an alternative to a playlist, you could just select your Jazz and
Classical genres with multiselection, and hit Play.

> definitely too much trouble to my tastes. And if I were to make these
> once, and save them, I would have to have three playlists: "Jazz",
> "Classical", and "Jazz and Classical".

Er, when you want to listen to Classical or Jazz alone, you'd just click
on that and hit play.  I don't see why you'd have to make a playlist?

> As the notification area is really the *notification* area, we should
> probably put letting the user know whether anything is playing, and what
> it is as prime priority. This means the icon would be associated with
> the currently playing "thing". So it would have the menu associated
> with, if iradio is playing, iradio, and if the collection is playing,
> the collection. As soon as the user starts playing a song in the
> collection, iradio will stop playing, and the icon would have the menu
> of the collection player.

That would help, yeah.

> I think they are approximately equally big groups of people.

Ok, without more scientific data I guess we won't know, but my
experience is definitely different.