Re: [Muine] Re: Muine UI idea for the future

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 02:51:07AM -0800, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
[on the topic of having volume control in the app and on the panel]
> > still it is a little disturbing. We already have one in the
> > GNOME panel (by default, so it's somebody's own fault
> > if they remove it). That's exactly what makes Windows
> > so confusing to new users: the myriards of ways to do
> > the same thing.
>
> Erm, changing the volume of the player should not change the volume of the
> whole system, and so a player should have its own volume control which
> controls the application, not the system.

I think this is an interesting topic.

After a little thought, I think the "right" answer would be to have a
relative volume control.  Something that would look similar to a balance
control, with the middle being "system default" and left/right being
"quieter/louder", relative to the system sound.

Personally I hate my volume setup (which is unmodified from the
default AFAIK).  The panel volume control adjusts the 'main' volume,
which I understand effects any other volumes.  App volume controls I
think adjust PCM, and I have no idea what that is.  I'm not complaining
about the sound system so much here as I am about the users interaction
with it.  I'm not an idiot, and I know a fair amout about computers, I
simply never bothered to take any time to research the sound system or
what 'PCM' means.  Honestly  I don't care what it means, I don't _work_
with audio - I _use_ it - so why should I have to know?

Anyways, most people don't care that an application volume is at
'the slider around the top' while the main volume is set with
'the slider around the middle', they want amovie to be a
little easier to hear than the system beeps, or a music player to be a
little louder than the game they are playing, or perhaps an Evolution
alarm to be the 'loudest'....

Waddaya think?

-Tom

--