Re: [Muine] Re: Muine UI idea for the future

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 11:43:04AM +0100, Raphael J. Schmid wrote:
> Shuffle Playlist -- Absolutely
>
> Repeat Song -- Yes, and I was preparing to suggest
> that, too. Now you've been quicker than me. But:
> there should be an easy way to either) Repeat Song
> or) Repeat Album or) Repeat Playlist. Maybe even
> "Repeat Interpret". I'm still wondering hard about a
> good way to do this.

I agree.  I personally have never wanted to repeat a single song, but a
playlist or an album or something along those lines.  I think the most
common use would be playlist ('repeat everything you see here') and I
think that would be suitable for a default...imo.

> Visualization Plugins -- Of course! But why in the GUI?
> (hey, that rhymes)! I can see what a fun thing they
> are _in_fullscreen_mode_. But please not in a GUI.
> It's meant to be usable, not pretty.

I don't care for this either.  I'm all for options and configurability,
but I don't think it belongs in the default layout.

> Volume -- You didn't add the volume control button,
> still it is a little disturbing. We already have one in the
> GNOME panel (by default, so it's somebody's own fault
> if they remove it). That's exactly what makes Windows
> so confusing to new users: the myriards of ways to do
> the same thing.

I had never thought of this but it is a good point.  There is no reason
to (in a default setup) have volume control on the panel as well as in
an application.  In many cases it makes things problematic, for example
with my desktop the panel volume controls the master, while the app
volume controls the PCM.  If I adjust one it can throw the other
completely out of whack.  Its a mess. .  IMO it should be removed from
the default layout, though I do think there should be a way to add it if
so desired.

> Other than that -- In my opinion Muine should (for the
> most part of it) stick to its current GUI. The UIs seen
> in muine1.png and muine3.png are so... I don't know,
> complicated already again.

I don't entirely agree with this...so here are some more comments for
ye:

Alternate views:

I love the super-mini-me mode, as well as the mini-with-album|visual

Progress slider:

Two thoughts here.  I did indeed miss the visual progress indicator when
I fired up Muine for the first time.  I'm not sure why.  My
"Monday morning Freud" opinion is that it makes the user happier because
they get a sense of constant accomplishment.  Every time they look at
the player they see this little bar further along...I mean, progress is
a good thing these days, yes?  Granted, this is all lost when the next
song kicks in...but, whatever.  At any rate, I would like to see a
progress bar, but not a slider.  I think its very rare for most people
to want to skip around within a song, and these people can do it some
other way than in the default UI.  It is also somewhat confusing and
problematic when it is near the volume control button.  How often do you
think someone slides the bar when they want to adjust the volume, only
to find their song all fouled up?

Default layout:

I think the playback-with-playlist is a good default in general.  I do
like moving the playlist buttons (add song/album) to the bottom of the
window, though I think they should be horozintal and not vertical (to
take up less space).  Shuffle/repeat, I'm not sure what to do about
these, though I do like having the options.

There ye go.  Nice work on the mockups.

-Tom

--
Tom von Schwerdtner <tvon etria com>