Re: Hildon on MeeGo

Javier Jardón wrote:
2010/6/15 Dave Neary <dneary gnome org>:
That said, it is disappointing that there was essentially no response
from anyone involved in the GTK+ toolkit as to what changes would be
required in GTK+ to allow Hildon to be developed & maintained as a
useful independent project on top of stock GTK+.

IMHO, It's hildon what should be adapted to current GTK+.
Sure, GTK+ mantainers can acept patches to adapt some things, but the
porting effort is in the hildon part.

I agree with that. The best would be, if Hildon could live without changes to the existing GTK+ code. However, the Hildon developers already tried to minimize changes to GTK+ in the current Hildon implementation. Still there are quite some changes.

We surely don´t want methods completely Hildon specific code in GTK+. So we have to look at all changes between stock GTK+ and Hildon GTK+ and figure out why they are there. Then we should see if some of those things could be realized in Hildon´s code and if not see if we can further abstract those changes to make them useful in a generic way.

I don't know if a lot of changes are needed in hildon code, but the
libhildon Debian version [1] can be compiled against current GTK+
master without problems.

Thanks, that´s good to know. It an older version then the current one in Maemo5, but it´s a start I guess. I´ll try to do some tests with Hildon master in the coming days.

To move things forward: could the hildon devels make a list with the
changes needed on both project to coexist?
We can publish that info in GNOME wiki [2] so everybody can track the progress.

That would be great and thanks for you input!

Conny